On behalf of the staff at Violette Elementary School, I am happy to welcome you to the 2018-19 school year! We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our children can achieve their highest potential. We recognize that in order to be successful in school, our children need support from both home and school. We know a strong partnership with you will make a great difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:
1) Attends school daily and arrives on time, ready for the day’s learning experience
2) Completes all homework assignments
3) Reads for 30 minutes daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
4) Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life
5) Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
6) Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school and go on to college
Please consider joining our school volunteer program as our students can greatly benefit from your involvement and contributions to the school’s program and its operations. We seek volunteers to help us with the following activities:
1) Teacher-led instructional support, preparing materials for the classroom
2) School running club
3) School-wide events through PTO
4) Outreach and recruitment of parent and community volunteers
If you have any questions about the rules and expectations, please access the GGUSD Parent Handbook on the district website. It is very important that you and your child are fully informed regarding standards related to appropriate behavior for a safe and productive school year.
The wonderful Violette staff and I feel privileged to be a part of this school family. We thank you for sharing your child with us.
Breakfast on Monday through Friday: 7:30 A.M. - 7:50 A.M.
School day on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 8:00 A.M. - 2:20 P.M.
School day on Wednesday: 8:00 A.M. - 1:20 P.M.
Breakfast and Lunch
Parents can apply for free and reduced lunch by completing the application during your online re-registration or by visiting: https://fsmealapp.ggusd.us/ You may receive a paper application, however the process is much faster if it is completed online. Students will use their unique 7 digit student ID # or school ID card to get breakfast and/or lunch. Please practice this number with your student. You can add lunch money to your child’s account by following the steps at https://mylunchmoney.com/.
Class Party Policy
Violette Elementary has classroom party guidelines to avoid any potential health risks and maximize instructional time. Food and drink will not be accepted into the classroom unless it is for a school or PTA sponsored event. This includes but is not limited to birthdays. Violette Elementary has two school wide celebrations a year. The teachers will let parents know what items are appropriate. PTA sponsors events throughout the year and will provide a list of donation items if you would like to participate.
Please remember to visit our school website to receive constant updates on school information and events. You can find it at http://violette.ggusd.us/
I look forward to meeting you and working with you to make this a great year for you and your family. It is my great honor to serve as your child’s principal and I look forward to working with all of you throughout the year!
Sarah Van Dam, Principal
- Violette is one of only a few elementary schools to offer the AVID College Readiness Program which teaches students study skills and prepares them for success in intermediate and high school.
- Violette offers a robust college mentoring program, pairing elementary grade students with college students who serve as positive role models, help with school work, and promote positive self-esteem.
- Violette has 1:1 Chromebook to student ratio with innovative technology use as part of daily instruction. Students take advantage of multiple iPad carts and a brand new computer lab equipped with Mac computers.
- Violette provides many opportunities for parents to get involved in the education of their child with regular parent education classes, school events, and longstanding traditions like the Father-Daughter and Mother-Son dances, Fall Festival, and Family Runs.
- Violette will receive a second round of modernization which includes brand new air-conditioning, modernized classrooms, and energy-efficient technology.
- Violette has many before and after-school programs including robotics club, reading tutoring through a United Way Reading grant, Boys & Girls Club and College and Career mentoring.